Friday, May 5, 2023

Living For This


Hello! It’s been about 10 years since I’ve written anything here… I guess it’s time to return!


 Hope… what is it? We so often say some form of “I hope so” very often don’t we? Sometimes life circumstances can seem to throw a big bucket of water on the fire of hope that burns inside us… we can find ourselves just floating along in the current of our circumstances… I know I have a had some seasons where the current of life was carrying me along and I found it hard to hope for change.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had a beautifully blessed life that I am grateful for, but like everyone, I’ve had times when it seems tiring or hard to hope for circumstances to change when it takes longer than I think it should. That’s when the enemy wants to whisper (or more likely shout or scream) that things are hopeLESS. And if we listen to that, it’s a dark place to exist…

Psalm 43:5 says “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”


We need to be sure not to allow the enemy to be the voice we hear. This passage is an example of self-examination and healthy self-talk taking a look at our soul being downcast (depressed, defeated etc) acknowledging where our mental state is and then reminding our heart and mind where our hope comes from. The God who created us and made an eternal plan for us, is worthy of our praise even when that praise is coming from the broken places that our hope seems to seep out and escape us.  


That praise is often messy and awkward and raw… and difficult, but if we push into praise, we send the enemy a message that yes, we are in a hard and painful place, but right here we acknowledge God as our strength and source of our hope. That we are seated in the heavenly places near the throne of God, while simultaneously sitting in our circumstances… when we keep ourselves at the throne, the enemy can’t follow us there, he can’t whisper or shout there.

As I have been purposefully present in the throne room, my faith grows and therefore my hope grows, even though the earthly circumstances seem unchanged. You see when I put my faith in God’s plan, I realize that the details and strategies are being carried out and orchestrated in heavenly places, and just because I can’t see it moving in the manner or speed I want it to, doesn’t mean things aren’t moving on my behalf or that the answers aren’t coming.


So, my friend if you are feeling low on hope, get away from the enemy’s lies and take your place by the throne of God and praise him for the hope that only He can give. Remind your soul who breathed life into you, who gave you purpose and a promise and live for that. One moment, one day, one season at a time… 

And if you can’t seem to get there on your own, ask for help. Get family, friends, fellow believers to help lift you up to the Father, to sit in the mess with you and push into praise with you. God knew we would need that as it says in his Word “where 2 or 3 are gathered, I am there.”  I’m thankful that we are given people and relationships to help us in this life. One of my friends gave me this coffee mug knowing how much I love coffee, but this simple phrase proved to be a reminder that we are here on purpose for a purpose with breath in our lungs… let’s hang in there to see how what we hope for, comes to be.


Psalm 119-114 “You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.”

Ephesians 2:6-7 “And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages He might display the surpassing riches of His grace, demonstrated by His kindness to us in Christ Jesus.”

No comments: