Sunday, December 4, 2011

Kicking off the Christmas Season

   Well it's December! I can NOT believe how fast the past two months have gone! I have so many deadlines to meet by the end of the year, but I refuse to let anything steal the joy of this wonderful season. Hopefully I will also find time to share with you some of our family traditions that make our Christmas special.


   The first kick-off was getting together with my wonderful friend Tammy to bake some cookies. We have been doing this since our kids were small and needed to stand on chairs to reach the kitchen counter....now our oldest two are freshmen in college!


My sweet friend Tammy

   Over the years the kids got more interested in playing and hanging out with each other than "helping" us make the cookies, but that's OK they were building memories of their own. Of course they always showed up for taste testing :)


   In years past we made many different recipes on baking day, but with our limited time we just picked two kinds to make and will have another day before Christmas to make some more...can't wait!


   We made our family's favorite Chocolate Chip cookies that are "must haves" for our husbands and kids. We have been using the same recipe for years and won't be changing that one!


Yummy!


   The next cookie we made was a new recipe I found on Pinterest ( oh how I love that site for recipes!) It's a Peppermint Sugar Cookie and you can find the recipe HERE. We added our special touch by topping them off with drizzled white chocolate and crushed candy canes...OH YUM!!!
Candy canes transform into pretty yummy pieces that go inside and on top



Rolled in powdered sugar and pressed with a fork...the smell is minty sweet!

My 12 year old Colton helping sprinkle the tops with crushed candy canes.


I wish you could smell these!And taste them too!



Colton's reward for helping :)



Tammy made a friend with one of the many Asian beetles that have decided to make our home their home ( I am so not impressed with them!)


Good friends & sweet memories!


   Are you feeling the hustle and bustle of the season? Or are you feeling the peace and joy? Make some time to do something that puts you in the spirit....make some cookies....put on some Christmas music...have coffee with a friend...find a way to serve others...don't forget to spend daily time with "The reason for the season" my wonderful Savior Jesus Christ.


   Comment below and tell me how you "Kick-off" the Christmas season.

5 comments:

Farming On Faith said...

Oh what a fun time you had! And such a cute picture!
Have a merry week!

SweetLand Farm said...

I make homemade chocolates with the kiddos. After we decorate the tree we watch a Christmas movie together. Things change from year to year.

Lana said...

Having beautiful friends like this, for so long, is incredible. Have a Merry Christmas!

Trails of Grace said...

My son is the same way, he loves to be up in the mix. It looks like a great time was had by all! I am so grateful for the gift of friendship!
Visiting from Farmgirl Friday!

Anonymous said...

Making sweet memories with friends ♥ is wonderful! and so are CoOkIeS... need to be bakin' some myself.